Most people’s first instinct of putting out a candle is blowing out the flame. This has since been the easiest and fastest way to put out a candle. We probably all grew up doing this. However, this practice is incorrect because of a number of reasons. You are probably asking “what reasons could that be?” It is best to know this answer so as not to learn the hard way.
Why is Blowing Out a Candle Wrong?
Even though blowing out a candle may seem perfectly effective, here are some reasons why it’s a bad idea.
This method of blowing out candles is quite risky because it can send sparks into the air and cause a fire. It can also lead to unwanted accidents like burns and fire. Also, while placing your hand behind the flame so as to blow it out, you may be at risk of blowing some droplets back into your eyes and face causing harm that could have been avoided. Another thing important to know is never use water to put out a candle flame. When cold water comes in contact with hot wax, it can cause the wax to splatter all around and can cause burns. The cold water can also cause a sudden drop in temperature of the candle holder or jar especially if it is made of glass. This sudden drop in temperature can cause it to crack or break which will make hot wax spill everywhere.
Also while blowing out the flame in candles, you could blow tiny droplets of wax unto the area which may cause damage to your furniture or surfaces around.
Blowing out a candle can create smoke or a sooty mess and this leaves your candle and candle area looking dirty.
Blowing out a candle, especially candles that come in containers pushes the wick down into the wax, when the wax solidifies, the wick is no longer visible and probably has to be dug out. Digging out a buried wick can damage the candle.
HOW TO PUT OUT A CANDLE SAFELY
There are other techniques you can apply however, to put out a candle flame and at the same time is less risky and quick.
USE A CANDLE SNUFFER
If you are a regular candle user or a candle lover, it wouldn’t hurt to accessorize. Get a candle snuffer. A candle snuffer is very effective, efficient, and leaves a cleaner candle and environment. This is because it prevents the sooty mess that blowing out a candle leaves behind. Snuffers usually come in the shape of a small metal cup that has a long handle. All you have to do is place the snuffer over the flame this stops the flame from receiving oxygen and this stifles the flame until the flame goes out.
USE YOUR FINGERS.
This is another way by which you can put out the flame. This technique works by running your thumb and index fingers over your tongue. This is to moisten them a bit and protect your skin from the heat of the flame. You can moisten your fingers with water if you have water nearby.
Now quickly pinch and release the wick. This should be done in a rapid motion. The moisture in your fingers should cause the flame to go out as soon as the pinch is made. However, be careful not to burn yourself. You can practice this a few times with unlit candles and dry fingers before you try it out for real.
SUBMERGE THE WICK IN WAX.
All you need for this technique is a pair of tweezers. Alternatively, if you do not have a pair of tweezers you can use any long slender implement like a paperclip, forceps, or chopsticks. Use the tweezers to hold the wick around the side and not directly over the top. Note that in some cases just the pressure is enough to put out the flame. Bend the wick at an angle until it is submerged in the melted wax. This process will put out the flame and would prevent any unpleasant smoke or accidents.
Remember to straighten out the wick and smoothen it out so that it can stand on its own. This is so that the wick is not buried in the wax. Do this before the wax solidifies. Be careful not to break the wick or pull it out. After this, leave the wax to cool out.
MAKE USE OF THE CANDLE LID
Some candle container come along with lid. You can put this lid to good use by placing it over the candle. This restricts the flow of oxygen to the flame and gradually puts out the flame.
HINTS TO HELP YOU USE CANDLES SAFELY AT HOME
As amazing and beneficial as candles are, they also have great potential to cause huge disaster. Therefore, we have to take all necessary precautions when using them. This is because one mistake can cause a deadly fire outbreak.
- For you to get the best out of your candle, trim the wick to about 3mm in length before each lighting. This is to avoid smoking and overheating.
- It is important to use a stable and heat resistant surface when burning your candle. It is best to use a candle holder that is designed for candle use. Make sure it is sturdy, heat resistant and large enough to catch any hot melted wax. Remember to use surfaces that are also heat resistant even after using a candle holder. You cannot be too careful.
- When you first burn a candle, ensure it burns long enough for the entire topmost wax layer to liquefy. This would make the candle burn evenly each time you light the candle.
- Keep the candle far away from anything flammable. Avoid putting candles in areas around furniture, curtains, carpets, paper, and books.
- Avoid placing candles in areas where there is any vents, drafts or air current. This includes windows, fans, and vents. This is to prevent quick and uneven burning, flares or soot. This is also to prevent strong drafts from blowing nearby light weight item into the flame which would cause a fire.
- Always follow the manufactures instruction. Even though candles may be identical on many levels, each candle is produced different. Make sure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to light, burn or put out the flame correctly.